The lights are in place, the volunteers have been briefed – all that is left is the final countdown to open Christmas Wonderland to the community.
This year’s Christmas Wonderland presented by Slater and Gordon Lawyers, will see the lights display in Nerima Gardens at Queens Park opens Friday and runs nightly to 22 December.
The event is being presented in a COVID Safe format this year, with low cost tickets on sale to help manage attendance numbers and facilitate contact tracing.
Ticketing also ensures a guaranteed session time for visitors.
Six charity organisations have teamed up with Ipswich City Council to help present the event and will share in the ticketing income from the event. They are:
- Ipswich Hospital Foundation: supporting community health initiatives and helping to fund medical equipment.
- The Message of the Cross Indigenous Corporation: helping the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community overcome poverty, sickness, distress and misfortune.
- Queensland Youth and Families Support Services: supporting youth who are disengaged from school, family or the community to re-engage.
- Roderick Street Community Kindergarten
- Rosewood Community Centre
- Young Veterans Ipswich: helping veterans transition from service back into the general community.
Mayor Teresa Harding said local charity and community organisations need the city’s support, following the cancellations of major fundraisers in 2020 as a result of COVID-19.
“The funds raised through ticket sales to Christmas Wonderland will go some way to helping these organisations continue the important work they do in our community,” Mayor Harding said.
Young Veterans Ipswich activity and events coordinator Karron Carney said the group was proud to be involved with Christmas Wonderland.
“Our members have a strong sense of service and so it’s an opportunity for them to continue to provide that service to the community,” she said.
“Our organisation works to help veterans transition back into the community and the funds provided will allow us to continue supporting local veterans through a range of social activities.”
Christmas Wonderland is presented by Slater and Gordon Lawyers and supported by River 94.9.