Twenty-six Ipswich state schools will be included in the next phase of the State Government’s Cooler School Program to rollout air-conditioning across the state.
The State Government on Monday announced it would bring forward $50 million in funding for the program, allowing more schools to be air-conditioned sooner.
Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said the rollout was about giving students the best learning environments possible.
“For our students and teachers, the classroom is where they spend most of their day,” Ms Palaszczuk said.
“We want all Queensland students to learn in a comfortable and cool environment.”
Education Minister Grace Grace said an audit of every school outside the ‘Cooler Schools Zone’, expected to be completed by the end of the year, identified the schools set to cool down.
“This announcement will ensure classrooms in places like Charleville, Gympie and Ipswich will now be air-conditioned, along with schools in our hottest suburbs in Brisbane,” she said.
As with previous Cooler Schools Program, the schools selected were identified using heat discomfort data, using a combination of the highest average apparent temperature data and the highest number of school days in term one and term four above 30°C.
Spaces including classrooms, libraries and staff rooms will be air conditioned as part of the program rollout.
The 26 Ipswich state schools set to cool down in the latest rollout are:
- Amberley District State School
- Brassall State School
- Bremer State High School
- Bundamba State Secondary College
- Bundamba State School
- Camira State School
- Collingwood Park State School
- Fernbrooke State School
- Goodna Special School
- Goodna State School
- Grandchester State School
- Ipswich Central State School
- Ipswich East State School
- Ipswich North State School
- Ipswich Special School
- Ipswich State High School
- Leichhardt State School
- Redbank Plains State High School
- Redbank Plains State School
- Raceview State School
- Richlands East State School
- Silkstone State School
- Springfield Central State High School
- Springfield Central State School
- Springfield Lakes State School
- WoodLinks State School